Durham University – Palace Green Library
GSSArchitecutre were appointed to design and manage a complex series of phased renovation and restoration works for the Palace Green Library, situated at the heart of Durham’s extended World Heritage Site. The site includes the Chancery Court Building and Bishop Cosin’s Library, which are both listed and scheduled as ancient monuments. The buildings also house Durham University’s heritage collections of archives, manuscripts and rare books.
The design for this project included public exhibition and interpretation space for the University’s archival and museum treasures. Part of the works also included the careful restoration of the 1669 Bishop Cosin’s Library back to its former glory. The ‘Dunelm’ and ‘Treasures’ Exhibition Galleries are the showpiece of the Library complex and were designed in consultation with the MLA Council to accommodate major national exhibitions, including display of the Lindisfarne and St. Cuthbert Gospels in 2013.
Other support facilities include a new reception, retail outlet, conservation workshop, BS5454 strong rooms, and education outreach facility, as well as a visitors’ café.