Work has commenced on site for GSSArchitecture’s refurbishment of Bishop Cosin’s Library on Palace Green, for Durham University. This Grade II* listed building houses significant collections and was completed in 1667-68. The library and its collections were granted Designated status in 2005, identifying them as collections of national and international importance.
Works to the building will include the repair and replacement of the roof, repair and replacement stone work and internal refurbishment of the library, gallery and reception areas. Progress photos (seen below) show the works beginning on site now that the collections have been moved out of the library, with a roof covering in place in order to protect the building from harsh weather while work is carried out.
This project builds upon GSSArchitecture’s long-standing relationship with the University, in particular our considerable conservation work on the adjacent Exchequer building and Palace Green Library.
Vest Construction have been awarded the works as Main Contractor.